From this Day Forward>> -Family Court Consent Orders

If you have reached an agreement about parenting and/or financial arrangements and want to formalise the agreement to make it legal, you can apply to the Family Court of Australia for an Application for consent orders (“Family Court Consent Orders”).


You may be wondering when and how to do this – or why it is even necessary if matters between you and your ex are amicable.

There are plenty of reasons to document your agreement. Here are some good ones:

  1. You can save a significant amount of money
    If you’re transferring property under your consent orders you will be able to save thousands in stamp duty. Family law transfers are considered exempt transfers in most states and territories.
    Having consent orders in place also means that you do not have to go through the court process and can resolve your dispute without incurring the costs of lengthy court proceedings.
  2. For peace of mind
    Applying for consent orders will enable you to keep a well-documented, binding and enforceable record of your agreement. Both parties can rest assured knowing that they will be legally protected.
  3. For certainty
    Documenting your agreement by way of Family Court Consent Orders brings certainty. The court considers consent orders as your full and final agreement. One party cannot come back after a few years and ask for more super or money or another property. Reaching an agreement and choosing to keep the arrangement informal,  on the other hand, will not be considered full and final and your former partner may be tempted to come back for “another bite of the cherry” and any assets you have accumulated in the intervening period could potentially form part of the assets available for division.


Family Court Consent Orders can be filed any time after separation but should to be filed within 12 months of a divorce or within two years of the end of a de facto relationship if parties wish to seek orders from the court. If you are filing beyond this time frame, you should read and consider section 44 of the Family Law Act 1975. You must consent to the Court making the proposed property and maintenance orders or agree to enter into a Binding Financial Agreement, and if not, you will need to seek permission from the Court to file the application ‘out of time’. This process is costly and your request to have the matter heard may be declined.


Even though Family Court Consent Orders are submitted to the Court, the process is administrative and you are not required to appear at Court. 

We offer a quick and affordable way to legally document your agreement by consent orders through our online legal solution, Forward>>.

We can help you through the entire process or just part of it, depending on your particular needs and budget.


For more information about Forward>> or separation agreements generally, give us a call on (02) 6189 1748. Our lawyers can discuss your needs and goals with you and help you finalise your settlement agreements quickly and cost-effectively.

Scroll to Top


Finalist - Corporate Kindness Awards

Issued by Corporate Kindness Awards · Winners announced April 2022

Winner - Sole Practitioner of the Year

Issued by Australian Law Awards · Dec 2021

Winner – Partner of the Year (Family Law)

Issued by Lawyers Weekly Partner of the Year Awards · Nov 2021

Winner - Service Business Award

Issued by Ausmumpreneur Awards · Sep 2021

Winner - Service Business of the Year

Issued by Roar Awards · Sep 2021

Winner - Innovation Award for Legal Education and Change Initiatives

Issued by APAC Insider · Aug 2021

Winner - Top Boutique Law Firm 2021

Issued by Australasian Lawyers · Aug 2021

Winner- Boutique Law Firm of the Year

Issued by APAC Insider · Aug 2021

Finalist - Boutique Law Firm of the Year

Issued by Australian Law Awards · Jun 2021

Finalist - Innovator of the Year Award (Company)

Issued by Australian Law Awards · Jun 2021

Finalist - Innovator of the Year Award (Individual)

Issued by Australian Law Awards · Jun 2021

Finalist – 30 Under 30 Award (Family Law)

Issued by Lawyers Weekly 30 under 30 Awards · Apr 2021

Winner - Rising Stars in Family Law

Issued by Global Corp Media · Mar 2021

Finalist -Rising Star Ausmumpreneur of the Year

Issued by Ausmumpreneur Awards · 2021

Finalist -Social Change Hero

Issued by Roar Awards · 2021

Winner - Boutique Law Firm of the Year

Issued by Australian Law Awards · Sep 2020

Winner - Family Law Firm of the Year

Issued by Corporate Live Wire · Sep 2020

Winner - Service Business Award

Issued by Ausmumpreneurs · Sep 2020

Winner -Emerging Mumpreneur

Issued by Ausmumpreneur · Sep 2020

Finalist - Sole Practitioner of the Year

Issued by Australian Law Awards · Aug 2020

Winner - Rising Stars of Family Law

Issued by APEC Insider · Jul 2020

Winner – Family Law Firm of the Year (Australia)

Issued by International Advisory Experts (IAG) 2020

I love to travel and have already made it to 18 countries across Europe and Asia. My personal goal is to travel to every continent, including Antarctica. My favourite destination so far is Lauterbrunnen in Switzerland, where I skydived over the Swiss Alps!

Outside of the law and travel, I am a qualified lifeguard and swimming instructor, and have taught kids from as young as six months to adults.

I am a passionate environmentalist and animal lover. I advocate for kinder lawyering and living through my volunteer work at local sanctuaries and community organisations. I am an unashamed dance mum extraordinaire to my two lively daughters and wife to my ever so supportive and husband. I adore cats, and have 3 – Ruby, Cleo and Kimba, who are very popular on Instagram! You can check them out here.