We are a small, primarily virtual firm. We have lower overheads and use technology creatively to keep costs down. This means we don’t have to charge high hourly fees like other family law firms do.

If you don’t want a fixed fee, upon request, we can bill you in 6-minute increments. Rates are $500 per hour for the Principal and $250 per hour for a junior lawyer. These rates are exclusive of GST.

We aren’t the formal types and we like our clients to feel relaxed and comfortable. We meet with many of our clients at local cafes – and we shout the coffee!

If you prefer a more formal location, we have access to office locations during business hours. We can also come to your workplace if that is convenient for you.

We also offer online appointments via ZOOM.

Yes. We do not take on matters where allegations (including historical allegations) of domestic or family violence, including child abuse, have been made (by either party).

We do not provide representation for domestic violence matters in the ACT Magistrates Court.

If you present as combative or adversarial (for instance, if you said to us “I want to make my ex pay”) . We aren’t a good mix.

Possibly. It depends on your specific circumstances. While court is sometimes necessary, we prefer a solution-focused approach that considers both parties in a fair and equitable solution. If you do have to go to court, we work with specialised court advocates (barristers) as required. We are happy to provide advice and guidance on court matters and assist in all aspects of document drafting.

We do not appear in Family Violence Order applications or hearings at the ACT Magistrates Court. 

The Family and Federal Circuit Courts charge fees for filing documents (such as an Application for Divorce or Consent Orders). Further information about these fees can be found here

Sometimes you might need a valuation of your property or your superannuation. These costs are usually several hundred dollars. We will provide you with the details of persons who can provide these valuations for you (should they be required).

A title search is required for financial settlements for all real property. Your first one is on us but if you have more than one property, for most State and Territories, you can purchase a copy of your property’s title online directly from the local State or Territory Land Titles Office. For properties in New South Wales, you will need to use third party providers such as InfoTrack. Alternatively, we can do it for you and bill you for the search.

Absolutely, many of our clients complete the questionnaires together. Alternatively, one of you can take on the responsibility to prepare the paperwork as best they can. If you decide to do it this way, we recommend you ask your former partner to complete this form and send it back to you before you get started.

The court requires you both to have an clear understanding of each other’s finances before finalising any property settlement agreement. Check out our blog on financial disclosure here  where we explain it in more detail, and the Family Court website.

Yes! Our online settlement solution Forward>> is available to couples Australia-wide*. If you engage us and live outside of the ACT, we can stay in touch with you online via Zoom or over the phone. 

*As WA has different legislation, the process and pricing is a little different. If you live in WA, you will need to contact us to discuss your particular situation. 

We believe in the power of teamwork! A faster, fairer and more affordable separation is more likely if you can find common ground and finalise matters together.

While we prefer to work with both parties to reach a fair solution, we get that this not always possible. We are here to work with you and tailor our approach to best suit what your needs

There is no legal requirement to obtain legal advice if you have reached an agreement and decide to make your agreement official through consent orders. 

If you’re unsure of your next steps, we strongly recommend you obtain some independent legal advice in relation to your situation. We can help you understand your legal rights and responsibilities and also explain how the law applies to your situation. 

No. We can only advise one party. However, we know some friendly family lawyers who would be happy to provide advice to your former partner and we are happy to pass on their details. 

We cannot stress enough the importance of your former partner seeing an experienced family lawyer (not a general lawyer) trained in collaborative law. These lawyers will work with us (and not against us) to preserve peace and harmony for an amicable separation.

Scroll to Top


Finalist - Corporate Kindness Awards

Issued by Corporate Kindness Awards · Winners announced April 2022

Winner - Sole Practitioner of the Year

Issued by Australian Law Awards · Dec 2021

Winner – Partner of the Year (Family Law)

Issued by Lawyers Weekly Partner of the Year Awards · Nov 2021

Winner - Service Business Award

Issued by Ausmumpreneur Awards · Sep 2021

Winner - Service Business of the Year

Issued by Roar Awards · Sep 2021

Winner - Innovation Award for Legal Education and Change Initiatives

Issued by APAC Insider · Aug 2021

Winner - Top Boutique Law Firm 2021

Issued by Australasian Lawyers · Aug 2021

Winner- Boutique Law Firm of the Year

Issued by APAC Insider · Aug 2021

Finalist - Boutique Law Firm of the Year

Issued by Australian Law Awards · Jun 2021

Finalist - Innovator of the Year Award (Company)

Issued by Australian Law Awards · Jun 2021

Finalist - Innovator of the Year Award (Individual)

Issued by Australian Law Awards · Jun 2021

Finalist – 30 Under 30 Award (Family Law)

Issued by Lawyers Weekly 30 under 30 Awards · Apr 2021

Winner - Rising Stars in Family Law

Issued by Global Corp Media · Mar 2021

Finalist -Rising Star Ausmumpreneur of the Year

Issued by Ausmumpreneur Awards · 2021

Finalist -Social Change Hero

Issued by Roar Awards · 2021

Winner - Boutique Law Firm of the Year

Issued by Australian Law Awards · Sep 2020

Winner - Family Law Firm of the Year

Issued by Corporate Live Wire · Sep 2020

Winner - Service Business Award

Issued by Ausmumpreneurs · Sep 2020

Winner -Emerging Mumpreneur

Issued by Ausmumpreneur · Sep 2020

Finalist - Sole Practitioner of the Year

Issued by Australian Law Awards · Aug 2020

Winner - Rising Stars of Family Law

Issued by APEC Insider · Jul 2020

Winner – Family Law Firm of the Year (Australia)

Issued by International Advisory Experts (IAG) 2020

Outside of Balance, I am an adjunct lecturer and assessor with the College of Law in the ACT. In this role, I lecture and mentor future lawyers in the ACT and surrounding regions, as they complete their Practical Legal Training (which is the course you are required to complete to be able to practice as a lawyer).

When I am not lawyering I love to travel and have already made it to 18 countries across Europe and Asia. My personal goal is to travel to every continent, including Antarctica. My favourite destination so far is Lauterbrunnen in Switzerland, where I skydived over the Swiss Alps!

My innovative approach to law has seen me, and Balance Family Law recognised with over 23 national and international awards and accolades since 2020 including the prestigious Lawyer’s Weekly Family Law Partner of the Year 2021, Australian Law Awards Sole Practitioner of the Year 2021, Australian Law Awards Boutique Law Firm of the Year 2020 and the Gold Ausmumpreneur Award for a Service Business in 2020 and 2021. I have also received consecutive Chief Minister’s Awards for Excellence for my work with families and children on the frontline during my time working in child protection. In 2022 and 2023, I was invited to be a Judge at the Lawyers Weekly 30 Under 30 Awards, and Partner of the Year Awards, and the National Ausmumpreneur Awards.

As one of Australia’s most respected family lawyers and a gamechanger in the lawyer space, I look forward to working with you to navigate this challenging time in your life.